It isn’t possible to say exactly how much sleep we need, there are some suggested minimum and maximum amounts that research has identified to be ideal.
However, we are all individual and therefore will all respond very differently to differing amounts of sleep. The National Sleep Foundation suggest assessing how you feel having had different amounts of sleep by asking yourself the following questions:
- Are you productive, healthy and happy on seven hours of sleep? Or does it take you nine hours of quality sleep to get you into high gear?
- Do you have health issues such as being overweight? Are you at risk for any disease?
- Are you experiencing sleep problems?
- Do you depend on caffeine to get you through the day?
- Do you feel sleepy when driving?
If there have been significant changes in your sleeping pattern, including sleeping more as well as less, it is worth seeking advice to explore what could be underlying this.